VISA and TSA background check procedures
You will need to request a visa if you will be doing flight training towards a license or rating. Also the Transportation Safety Agency requires you to pass a background check before you will be able to receive training in the US. You are only exempt if you are a US Citizen.
If you are not a US-Citizen then you have to apply for a Training Visa (This page) and also for a TSA background check unless you are planning to only rent or do an IPC or BFR (See the TSA page for further information).
It is easier than it sounds and we will do our best to help you through the required red tape.
M1-Visas & Training request procedures
Follow ALL directions below to insure smooth processing.
1. Prepare the request for an I-20 on the form listed below under “Download Forms”
You need to list all the information requested in order to have the I-20 properly done. Be sure that all the information given matches your identification exactly.
2. Fill out the credit card authorization that is attached with the I-20 request form and fax it to the number listed on the form.
Sending in the credit card authorization allows us to charge your card for the I-20 FedEx Shipping, the security deposit for training and any shipping charges for your training materials. The security deposit will stay on your account until your training is completed. Should you change your arrival dates, cancel or not show up when scheduled, you will forfeit part or all of your security deposit.
While in training your account must be positively funded at all times. The $500.00 deposit is not part of the training money; it can be applied at the end of your training for the final bill or be refunded.
3. Once you have received your I-20 by FedEx you will need to pay SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitors System) a processing fee.
This fee is for ALL F, J, and M Visa’s with initial I-20 or DS-2019. You MUST pay this before making an appointment at the Embassy.
Important: You cannot pay the fee directly at the Consulate. Login to www.ice.gov/sevis to pay the SEVIS fee. Fill out Form I-901 and pay the fee online by VISA, MasterCard or American Express. Print a copy of the payment for your records.
See more details about this new procedure/fee at the US Embassy Website.
4. You will then need to make an appointment at the US Embassy and take the I-20 form and the proof of payment for approval.
At that time they will take your picture for their records.
All visa applicants, must have these things:
- Nonimmigrant VISA application FORM DS-160 must be filled out and signed. The form is to be filled out online, using the link listed below
- Current, valid passport or travel document
- Photograph. Requirements are strict for photograph size, type and quality. Please check with your nearest consulate for specifications before you get your picture taken.
- Application fees. All applicants must pay the application fee. Some applicants, according to nationality and type of visa, must also pay an issuance fee.
- Evidence of funds to cover your expenses in the United States
- Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroadI-20 application for M1 Visa with Credit Card Authorization Customer Request
You can download the required forms here:
Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, has to be submitted online by all nonimmigrant visa applicants. The DS-160 is a fully integrated online application form that is used to collect the necessary application information from persons seeking a nonimmigrant visa. The DS-160 is submitted electronically to the post where the applicant will apply for the visa via the Internet. Please see the Embassy webpage for further information!
Contact Information And Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant, has to be submitted by all applicants seeking an M1 Training Visa